5.20.2010

Beach Bliss

My sister and now brother in law put together a rather impromptu, intimate wedding ceremony back in May. So, the family packed up and hit the Gulf Coast (days before the oil arrived).

First, a little about the trip:
We stayed in West Orange Beach in Gulf Shores, AL. We rented a 3 bedroom condo through vrbo.com. We were extremely happy with our arrangements. The white sands were literally our backyard. In the past our extended family has rented in the Destin area (about 45 minutes away). Usually we rent places with granite counter tops, leather couches, etc... This place wasn't like that. It will need a fresh coat of paint soon. The kitchen appliances were a little old. But, well worth it because while I was laying on the white sand with my feet in the water, my children could walk back to the condo and use the restroom without me. I could see them the whole time. Yes, folks--that's how close we were to the water. Priceless. I hope to rent from this particular renter again!

 It was beautiful. I love the ocean and coast line of the Gulf of Mexico. I find myself periodically longing for it. There's something so calming and relaxing about spending time on the ocean.   I love the corny, overpriced souvenir shops, the silly over rated restaurants and more than anything, the white sand and shoreline are amazing.

First on the agenda:

Birthday party for me and Joann!







Mom brought a super yummy ice cream cake (I think from Wal Mart) and lots of the family headed over to our condo to sing Happy Birthday to us and enjoy the cake.

Next, the ceremony.
Prepare yourself for a lot of pictures here. Some of these pictures were taken from me, some from Arthur and some from Savor Photography (Naples). For more of Sara's wedding photos click here! The ceremony was intimate, quaint and brief. Sara and Shannon just picked a spot on the beach, we walked out there and boom, they were husband and wife! McKenna, Ella and Shannon's two niece's were flower girls (which is really the only reason there was an official "procession"). They were adorable and the four of them got along quite well. Nathan (Shannon's old roomie) officiated. I read from Scripture. Now, on with the photos, right?

My stunning and beautiful sister, Sara.






I should let you in on a little secret....I practically stood on top of the photographer to get a few of these shots. Then, of course, several of them are hers...thanks Rachel!



Check out Ella's little sunburn...poor baby!

I love the hearty laugh happening right here!





Yeah, my mom does stuff like that all the time. She didn't just give him bunny ears, they almost look like evil horns!

One of our absolute most favorite things about our week in Gulf Shores? Renting the pontoon. Yep, we rented a boat with Sara and Shannon (actually, I think they treated us to a boat rental) and cruised the Bay. It was so serene. We saw a few dolphins. Tried to spy a gator, but no luck. We beached the boat at a small island (very small--the size of T ball field) and had a little picnic! So much fun and very relaxing. Oh yeah, Toby, the dog, didn't want to get on the boat. He needed some forceful encouragement.






I am standing on the island and Arthur is standing out in the bay, on a sand bar--so to speak. Notice the color change in the water? It's MUCH deeper where the water is blue. Very fascinating.
I really liked these little birds. I thought it made a neat picture. Again, we are still on the island (in the bay)  at this point.



On the little island where we docked, there were lots of hermit crabs. This was a larger one that Arthur found. The shell was very cool. See the little crab claw sticking out? 

Random Pictures!


One of the restaurants we visited had a suds machine that the girls could play in. Our favorite restaurant was Lulu's (Jimmey Buffet's place). It was good!
McKenna got her first weaving loom from Nana Z. She LOVED it. It dominated a lot of her time. She was weaving potholders for everyone. Thanks, Nana Z.

Ella, flying her kite!

The honeymooners!



Waiting around for Shannon and Nathan's "rental"



Shannon managed to give the girls a little ride in this street legal car until the security guard came running over (about as fast as a grumpy old man can run) to tell us..."not on my time, this isn't a race track!"

3 comments:

Jo said...

Yay!!! Finally, you put wedding pictures up!!!

Mom said...

Some really good shots there.. mostly...lol.

Aunt Lynda said...

Love it!!! Great Job!!~