8.06.2008

Calling all parents!

Parents! Yes, you! I am talking to you. That's right! I need your tips and advice.

How do you teach awareness and grace to a child? Don't tell me that it can't be done. I am sure it can. Share with me your tips. What do you do to encourage awareness? I mean awareness of where your own body is and what your appendages are doing or how they might be hurting someone unknowingly, how close you are to falling off of a chair or spilling your milk...this can be taught, I am sure.

Okay lurkers...I know you are out there. Lot's of my friends read the blog and don't comment! Now is the time. If you are a parent, I expect a comment. And, I am talking to my aunts who read also! Most of you are parents!

Or, maybe you aren't a parent and you have an opinion on the topic? Don't underestimate your wisdom! Comment.

Come on, let's have it!

7 comments:

Bren said...

We often have funny examples that Steve and I so no one gets hurt about what we have seen in the day. For example, falling off the chair - we do it on purpose and then talk about it.

Leah said...

Jessica, way to get us all to comment!
Brenda's example is funny. It can teach what not to do, but if you arent' even aware you are on the edge of the chair the lesson won't help.
I would have them repeat a phrase or question aloud like, "Am I watching my cup?" when walking with a cup. Or "Is there room to spin?" when about to spin. Something they can get in the habit of saying to themselves or asking themselves. But this is situation specific, and doesn't teach general awareness.
I believe most of this is learned by experience, but you can definately facilitate it with training!
Leah

Jessica said...

Thanks! Great tips! Keep 'em coming!

Anonymous said...

I really don't have any answer for this one. If I couldn't catch you actually doing it, I figured enough knocks on the head and you (and Sara) would learn. My mother put me in ballet when I was little hoping that would help. It didn't.

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering the same things you are so please pass along any great ideas you!! What I'm the most sick of is Emma putting her feet on EVERYTHING!! (especially me!)

Anonymous said...

haha - When attempting to curtsey, your mom would put her foot in front rather than behind - she'd trip everytime. That repetition never changed despite the instructor's many attempts - She did look cute, tho - in her tutu and chignon. And - has ANYONE been able to teach Leigh how to control Her body (can u say "spilled coffee")?

Hugs, NANA

Anonymous said...

We talked about this a lot in child psych I remember. We had a day where diff age kids came in and we did activities that allowed us to judge their development and capabilities. The one I remember most is that the kids under 5 or so had a more difficult time walking on the straight lines we made, but aced the circles. The older kids were the opposite. But in answer to the question, I think its tough to train generally on this...it seems it would have to be situation-specific.