...I will give you 100 reasons to visit the Twin Cities (okay, reasons to visit MN in general....but most of the things I have mentioned are close to the Twin Cities, if not right in the metro area)!
Feel free to click on the highlighted words. They are links to websites or previous posts that I might be referring to. This is a bit of a longer post for me. I spent some time on it (it took me a few days to compile this list), so you can spend some time thoroughly enjoying it!
1. Visiting with me.
2. Visiting with Arthur.
3. Visiting with McKenna and Ella.
4. Visiting with Arthur's family.
5. Mall of America, or MOA, as we call it.
Did you know:
258 Statues of Liberty could lie inside the Mall
If Mount Rushmore was divided into individual monuments, a president could reside in each of the Mall's four courts
Mall of America is big enough to hold 32 Boeing 747s
Seven Yankee Stadiums can fit inside Mall of America
If a shopper spent 10 minutes browsing at every store, it would take them more than 86 hours to complete their visit to Mall of America
There is no sales tax on clothing in Minnesota
6. Nickelodeon Universe Theme Park. Here in the land of lakes, Dora is not an illegal alien and you can generally find her at this theme park in the Mall of America.
7. Como Zoo, Como Town and Conservatory. This is an inexpensive field trip. Walk through the zoo for a $2.00 donation and put a few new wrinkles on the brain while you learn about new animals (all for $2.00, remember). Bring a picnic lunch or eat at a zoo cafe. Then ride the rides at Como Town. Afterwards, stroll through the conservatory and soak up the aroma of the flower gardens.
8. We have so many parks! Beautiful parks! There are many walking trails and biking trails. There's a nice park one block away from our house. It has a skate park.
9. The Great Minnesota Get Together. It's SO much fun and very much unlike the one in AL!
10. The Minnesota Children's Museum. We have so much fun when we go here. To read more about some of our past adventures click here or here.
11. The MN Zoo. The new bear exhibit is very good. Might be my favorite! Click here.
12. You might wake up to a deer in the back yard! It happens randomly and sometimes frequently to us.
13. To baby sit for a date night.
14. Snow skiing
15. Sledding
16. To build a snowman.
17. To see a lake.
18. To see another lake.
19. To see more lakes. Okay, I will stop. Seriously though, we are the land of lakes! Because of its thousands of lakes, Minnesota has 90,000 miles of shoreline, more than California, Florida and Hawaii combined.
20. To see Northwestern College.
21. So that I can cook dinner for you.
22. To see what living in a deep freezer feels like (if you come in January or February).
23. Stillwater.
34. Red Wing.
35. Minneapolis.
36. To swim in a lake that is filtered!
37. To visit Arthur's relatives who live in these 2 towns (or very close by)! New Ulm and Hanska
38. The beautiful fall colors (if you come in late September to mid-October).
39. To play ball with Scooblar Hoop!
40. Because you need a break from the heat and humidity!
41. Because you might need something custom framed!
42. To visit our dog and cat.
43. You enjoy shoveling snow.
44. You can never get enough Dora!
45. You can visit a water park that's pool is only 1.5 feet deep!
46. To play animals!
47. So I can post your visit on the blog.
48. To see one of the biggest working towboats on the Mississippi.
49. RNC is 9/1 through 9/4.
50. To catch a show downtown.
51. You may want to visit this town if you used to live there.
52. Visiting this aquarium at this location is pretty neat.
53. To eat here,
54. or here,
55. or here--one of Sara's favorites. Check it out just for the website and menu options.
56. To stroll down Summit or Grande Avenue--some of the most beautiful urban neighborhoods.
57. Because this is a beautiful sight.
58. To see the largest freshwater lake in the world.
59. Because it would make my family so happy.
60. (Wow, this is taking longer than I thought!)
61. Duluth, MN
62. You really need to tour this building.
63. You'd be pretty close to the Wisconsin Dells.
64. Brainerd, MN
65. Paul Bunyan
66. This museum is featuring a Star Wars exhibit.
67. In college (and still, if time would allow)--I would frequent this place.
68. I married into access to the 3M store!
69. You might feel like driving for 2 days (if so, then come on up!).
70. Thrill rides
71. Split Rock
72. Two Harbors
73. Boundary Waters
74. Minnehaha Falls
75. To ride in a real street car.
76. To see a game in the dome, before it is gone.
77. Art
78. more art
79. My girls LOVE to have visitors
80. To ride a bike downtown with 6 other people
81. Fort Snelling
82. To take a cruise
83. To be a gangster for the night
84. To stay at this B&B
85. Museum of Questionable Medical Devices
86. Dinner and a show, all at the same time in the same room.
87. Arboretum
88. Apple Orchards, we have a ton!
89. Spam--really, check this one out!
90. Because everyone needs to tour a building made entirely out of ice. During the winter of 1888, residents of St. Paul built an ice palace at the winter festival. Before melting, it was considered one of the largest buildings in the world, measuring 14 stories high and covering an acre of land.
91. To reward me from creating this crazy post (it is taking much longer than I anticipated).
92. You haven't been up in a long time.
93. We have indoor playgrounds and indoor water parks if it were to rain.
94. Because a lot of famous people are from the area:
Charles "Chief" Bender (1884 - 1954) The first pitcher in baseball to win six World Series games; played for the Philadelphia Athletics. Born in Brainerd, MN (282)
Patty Berg (1918 - 2006) One of the greatest female golfers ever. She also founded the U.S. Ladies' Professional Golfers' Association. Born in Minneapolis, MN (283)
F. Scott Fitzgerald (1896 - 1940) Author famous for his characters and sense of style as in The Great Gatsby.He was seen as one of the greatest authors of the 20th century. Born in St. Paul, MN (284)
Judy Garland (1922 - 1969) Singer and Actress most famous for her role as Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. Born in Grand Rapids, MN (285)
Garrison Keillor (1942 - ) Author and host of "A Prairie Home Companion". Born in Anoka, MN (288)
Sinclair Lewis (1885 - 1951) The first American to win the Nobel Prize for literature, he wrote of small town life such as Main Street. Born in Sauk Centre, MN (286)
Roger Maris (1934 - 1985) Baseball player that while playing for the Yankees made history hitting 61 home runs in a single season. Born in Hibbing, MN (290)
Charles H. Mayo (1865 - 1939) Physician who founded the Mayo Clinic in Rochester. Born in Rochester, MN (295)
William J. Mayo (1861 - 1939) Physician who founded the Mayo Clinic in Rochester. Born in Le Sueur, MN (296)
Eugene McCarthy (1916 - 2005) U.S. Senator from Minnesota. Professor, author, and poet. Born in Watkins, MN (298)
Walter Frederick Mondale (1928 - ) 42d vice-president of the United States (1977 - 1980); Democratic candidate for president of the United States in 1984. Born in Ceylon, MN (297)
Charles Schultz (1922 - 2000) Cartoonist that created the comic strip Peanuts about Charlie Brown. Born in Minneapolis, MN (292)
Richard W. Sears (1863 - 1914) Founder of the Sears, Roebuck and Company. Born in Stewartville, MN (293)
95. To thank me for compiling this list.
96. Caves, we have a few.
97. Hockey
98. I really want and like to have visitors.
99. Wolves
100. Because you love me!
12 comments:
Bravo!! I've been waiting for that 100th post for too many days now! I understand why now!! I can't wait to check all the links out. It sounds like MN is a lot of fun! Maybe someday when I grow up we can come visit!!
Wow. I wouldn't have tackled that one. Very good. The dept of tourism in Minnesota should be grateful to you!
I will be there in October, because I love you all.
No fair. I hate the Devil's Armpit (aka Jacksonville, FL). If I had a million dollars . . .
if it didn't cost my savings I'd try for labor day, looks like it'll be next year for me tho :(
Haha, I love you and love that posting; have you considered a career in advertising? Pa & I SO wish yawl lived closer (or that airfares were dirt-cheap). We will try to get up there, but not sure when; not the winter tho - been there, done that. Brrrrr.
Great job!
And just think, I was already coming when it was just 4 good reasons....
But, now I can give Rick incentive. Kyle would come for the Star Wars exhibit! I am on 3 airports email lists and I am always looking I am trying for same dates as state fair. I wish the ice motel was still there - they showed one on Ripley's and I really was intrigued.
Leigh, every year the city of St. Paul build somethign spectacular out of ice. Last year was a castle.
Wow! That was amazing. I can't believe you did all that. No wait, you're Jessica... I CAN believe you did all that! Bravo!
Wow!!!! This is great! I am impressed by the territory you have covered! Minnesota is a better place because of YOU!
Mr and Mrs Kjelshus! Yes ma'am, I still know how to spell it! I got to work this morning and looked on the calendar, and BAM!, like I always do on August 27, I say "It's one of my best friend's (from High school) birthday today! I googled you all and this is what I found! What a treat and treasure to see photos and memories that you all share. It's unfortunate that I haven't seen or talked to any of you since the wedding, but it appears that all is well in Kjelville. I would love to see your family and introduce you to mine... maybe even talk about getting a 15 year reunion in place, perhaps? If you'd like to catch up, drop me a line at lellis@hallieqbrown.org. I pray that you'll continue to be blessed as a family and I hope to hear from you soon. Please pass the love on to Adrian and JoAnn. Sincerely, Leah
Wow, that sounds really exciting! I wish we could come. We have been running around like crazy the last few weeks. Just put our house on the market yesterday! Too bad the cost of living is so much higher there, your blog kind of made me wish we could move. On the other hand, you guys could move here instead!! Miss you,
Kasey
Post a Comment