6.25.2010

Heart of Dixie

Recently, the girls and I took a road trip down to Alabama. It was their first trip in the car that lasted longer than 3 hours. I was a little nervous about how they'd handle it. Lots of people seemed a bit concerned for me. My Grandma reminded me that rest stops were horrible places.

But...

...Off we went, anyways.

I packed everything (and I pretty much mean everything but the kitchen sink!). I even packed 2 days worth of food in the cooler, determined to cut costs as much as possible.

We left around 7:30am and about 15 minutes into the ride McKenna said, "Mom, are we STILL in Minnesota?" I was, needless to say, very disheartened by this question so early on. But, all turned out well.

The girls did really well. I couldn't have asked for more. It was really a fun "girl" time for us. We sang, we watch videos (well, not me-I was driving), we played games, we talked about the states we were driving through. Each hour a different person was in charge of what was on the radio/tv.

Ya know, with modern technology: DVD in the van, IPhones, GPS....traveling is much easier than it was years ago. I really can't complain.

We stopped at rest areas (mindful of the warnings from my grandma) and had our picnics. We stretched our legs, ran around and gassed up about every 2.5 hours. We rested that night at a relatives house in Indiana. They had lots of dogs and cats and lived near a park. They girls were excited about that!

The trip back was pretty much the same.

Would I do it again?

Yes, in a heart beat! As long as snow were out of the picture. I don't think I'd do that trip over the winter.

Pictures to come soon!

No comments: