9.28.2008

Apples, Apples, Apples



This weekend we took our yearly trip to the apple orchard. Visiting an apple orchard is something (one of the few things) I missed out on growing up in Alabama. (Side note: SEC Football is something I miss out on here in Minnesota). We met our good friends, J & K Madison (and Levi) there.

I love visiting the orchard. What a perfect family outing. I have many pictures to share. I know that you all might not enjoy EVERY SINGLE photo the way that I do. However, remember that this blog will serve as a photo album/scrapbook for my children. That is why I include lots of pictures. I fully intend to print this blog in a book form.


The day started with a hayride. There are many varieties of apples to choose from. Generally, I like the sweeter ones. I know that for baking/cooking the cook books suggest a more tart apple. I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old--we went for the sweeter ones. We chose Sweet 16. Normally I would have gone with Honeycrisp but they weren't an option that day.

It's fun to watch the girls as they pick. Ella likes to pick smaller red ones. She doesn't fully exam them BEFORE she picks. I tried, unsuccessfully, explaining that to her. She would pick one and then, if she saw something she didn't like--a speck of dirt, a bug, too big of a stem, a dent, etc...she tossed it. Daddy and I tried to pick up after her but, my goodness. McKenna was more methodical about her apple picking. She had similar criteria but chose large apples rather than small apples. She also learned to examine them BEFORE she picked them. Something that she acquired on this year's trip.





Mmmm......


The pumpkin patch (they have several-pie pumpkins, carving pumpkins, mini pumpkins) is right next to the sweet apples. So, we perused through the pumpkins and took a few photos. Then back on the hayride to go to the playground.

By the playground there is a small petting farm area and a hay mountain to climb. They also have a cow tractor ride that Ella and Levi enjoyed. On the hay mountain, kids like to dig away portions of the hay to make holes or tunnels. McKenna wanted to get in a hole and have me take a picture of her peeking out. She peeked a bit too close to the hay and her eyes were irritated for a while. But all is well.



Notice that we are all in our fall colored T's from Target! I got them each on sale for less than $5.00!! =)


There is also a raspberry patch. McKenna thoroughly enjoys picking the raspberries and Arthur and I thoroughly enjoy eating them.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun!! It is sooo nice to see you in some of the pics too Jess! I love that you are a shutterbug, but how good to see you too! I love, love, love this blog of yours!

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh... how grand! I love it!
Is that the same place that I like and fully intend on visiting in about 2 weeks time????
Oh, how I miss the north during Autumn!

Jessica said...

Yes, this is the orchard we will visit while you are here! It's quickly becoming our favorite.

Anonymous said...

I am ready to come with or without my family. The apple orchard looks like FUN! When we were in PA 2 weeks ago, we picked apples at Dave's grandfather's farm and I brought them home and made my 1st apple pie. Hayden has been studying apples in his 1st grade class. So I took the apple pie into share and apple juice (Dollar General) The kids said Mrs. Miller you have the best apple juice! Did say to much about my pie!!!

Jessica said...

Lynda,

Congrats on your first apple pie. I have made a few since I started visiting apple orchards. I have a few more posts on soem of the things I have made since our visit. Keep checking back.

Anonymous said...

That's a really good pick of you with Ella (the one where you have your sunglasses on).
Raspberries sounds awesome. I'm helping with pumpkin painting for our Employee Fall festival at work!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous pictures! We used to live across the road from Bluejay Orchard - the owner let us have any windfalls ... so Uncle Larry would climb the tress and shake the apples off em. The kids brought home wagonloads full. Nothing beats an apple pie made with McIntosh! "Those were the days, my friend ... ." Nana Z