12.25.2009

The Sarah Palin Signing Story

This was something I wanted sooo badly to give to both of my grandfathers.

I purchased the book and audio book from Barnes and Noble about two weeks prior to the date of Sarah Palin’s signing event. I saved the receipts. I read all the rules: no photos, no personalizations, 2 books per person, wristband required, no shopping bags, no camping out, etc..

There were lots of rules.

The signing was at 7pm and I could get my wrist band as early as 5am. I had the babysitter all lined up for 3pm. I would go to the Mall of America and stand in line for approximately 4-5 hours.

I caught the 10pm news the night before and found out that....

I was misinformed. The signing was at noon. The sitter wasn’t available. With slumped shoulders and a face full of disappointment, I resigned myself to the fact that I would not be able to get Sarah Palin’s autograph for my Pas. So, I certainly did not get up at 4am to drive to the Mall of America in sub zero temps to get a Barnes and Noble wristband.

Monday, Dec. 7th came. At 3pm the sitter arrived and I headed to the Mall of America to finish up some Christmas shopping. I decided to bring the books and receipts just in case. I knew it wasn’t likely. Her signing started at noon and I wasn’t getting there until 3:20 pm or so.

As soon as I got there I ran to Barnes and Noble. I ran!

“I realize I’m like 10 hours too late. Do you happen to have any wrist bands left?” I begged.

The reply was no. But, I could risk it and get in line anyways. The clerk reminded me that Sarah Palin wasn’t obligated to sign my books since I didn’t have a wrist band. She could quit at anytime.

Well, I’m here. Why not try?

So, I got in line. Surprisingly (I mean, I know this is a liberal leaning state, but I was still a bit surprised.) there weren’t many people in line ahead of me. Maybe 65 people. At the first checkpoint I was asked to remove everything from my pockets. My shopping bags and purse were searched. And I mean, every compartment was unzipped and unsnapped. I was reminded that I could only bring my books and receipts on stage to be signed. I would have to check my coat, bags and purse. I would have to leave my cell phone and camera as well. But, I was allowed to take pictures until the next checkpoint in the line. So, every second I thought I had a decent shot, I snapped. This is the only one that was worth posting.



Waiting in line, I was introduced to Sarah Palin’s mother and father. They were very friendly and allowed me to take their picture. I thanked them for raising Sara as a Christian.




At the checkpoint I dropped everything in my bags, including my coat. I kept my book, audio book and receipt. Just before it was my turn to step onto the stage a Mall employee was frustrated with me because I was bringing up an audio book. She told me that Sara was only signing books and I would need to keep that in my pocket (because I can easily fit 7 cd’s in my pocket, can’t you?) Not wanting to cause trouble, I said okay.

Once on stage I asked the person with Sarah Palin if my audio book could be signed. She said that I should give it a try. So I did.

I set my books on the table and watched. Sarah wasn’t making true eye contact with anyone. She was signing as quickly as possible and occasionally glancing up to smile-again, never really looking at any one person.

Once I got right in front of her, I asked:

“Sara, are we allowed to ask questions?” There were so many rules that I wanted to be sure not to break any of them.

Without looking up and still continuing to sign books, she said-with hesitation, “Yes.”

“Are you that skilled at teasing your hair or do you use the As Seen on TV Bump It?”

(Yes, folks! Believe it.)
Pausing, she looked up. Probably relieved that I didn’t ask her about seeing Russia from her back door, she smiled. She looked me straight in the eye and said, “This (pointing to her hair) is a skilled beehive on my head, girl.” She reached out to shake my hand and I think ask me my name….but the security guard had already scooted me on saying that I needed to get off stage and keep the line moving.

I was then given a website address where I could download a picture after 2 weeks. I keep checking and no luck so far.

I looked back and Sara Palin was standing up. People were clapping and local news channels were scrambling. She was done. She was being escorted off the stage and out of the mall.

The Lord had prepared my way. I was able to get both the book and audio book signed for both of my Pa’s! I am so happy!

Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

Jo said...

You are too funny!!! I love it!!!

Mom said...

And to all a good night. Amen!

Dana said...

Way to go! Fun story :)