All summer long people have been asking Ella if she is excited about going to kindergarten. Her answer is always, "No!" Then there's the usual reply, "Oh, you'll have tons of fun." To which she says, "No. I just want to be with Mommy." She would just rather be with me most days. Not sure why....
So, we had been prepping her as best as we could. We explained that kindergarten wasn't an option. She would eventually make new friends and enjoy it just like she enjoyed preschool. We also reminded her that her attitude makes a big difference. Something we say to the girls, "a bad attitude makes things worse and a good attitude makes things better."
In our district (like many others) Kindergartners start a day or two after the rest of the kids. I think that's nice. Ella and I enjoyed a special date (I'll post it soon) the day before she started! So, the night before we tried on and studied her different outfit. She decided on the Belle shirt and denim skirt. Thankfully, we had the appropriate hair accessories to match. Also, the day before we complete her homework (which was assigned at the open house). She had to decorate a gingerbread cutout using her own photo. She had lots of fun doing that ans was excited that she had homework. Actual homework!
Here she is holding her homework.
Of course, the tree picture. Though, I didn't pay attention to the fire hydrant and truck in the background! Yuck!
By the way, her Mammie and Papa got her this backpack for $1.00 (after rebate) from Office Max! Wahoo. McKenna's is just like it only a different color.
If you read this blog regularly you know that my little Ella has a special place in her heart for certain stuffed animals. This is Jessica the Kitty. A Webkinz kitty that she got for Christmas a few years ago. Jessica goes lots of places with Ella. We talked about how Jessica could ride in the backpack for school but she had to behave. We also read in the kindergarten handbook that toys from home aren't a good idea. So, she HAD to stay in the backpack. Ella even dressed her in yellow to match the Belle shirt.
Ella will readily admit that Jessica is a comfort to her when she feels a bit scared.
Here's her school. Bailey Elementary. She is in half day kindergarten. There are 12 students in her class. Great teacher/student ratio!! The school is only about 5-6 minutes from our house. We aren't actually zoned for it but requested it through the district's intradistrict transfer request process. Because we attending a public school outside of our zone, busing isn't guaranteed. The school hours are 9:20am-3:50pm. I was told that I'd have to provide transportation. I was willing to do that to have my kids in the school that I felt was the best for them. But, with having a newborn in a couple of months....it was...well...not what I wanted. So, I called the transportation department and just asked where the nearest bus stop was. Guess what? There's an 8:45 am bus stop and 4:15pm bus stop 2 houses down from us! Wahoo! So, I only have to take Ella at 1pm and she and McKenna can ride the bus home together! Relief!
Ella and I walked into the classroom where many other moms and dads were. We hugged. We put her stuff in her locker (yep they all get lockers). We hugged. We found her name tag and spot. We hugged some more. Then, she began telling me that she was ready to go home. She didn't want to learn things. We hugged some more. I reminded her to keep a good attitude and try to find a friend. We hugged and kissed. I told her that I would say goodbye and see her after school when she got off the bus. Her little lip began to quiver. I hugged her one last time. My pregger self was about to cry too. I darted out of the room holding back tears as best as I could. I heard her yell, "Mom, why do I have to stay? Why is it the law? I just want one more hug." I also heard her little footsteps attempting to follow me. And, out of the corner of my eye I saw the teacher quickly dart in front of the door and catch Ella with her arm. It was heart wrenching.
My immediate thoughts: Get out of this school. Don't cry. Call Arthur, tell him she just isn't ready. How will she handle the bus if this is how she handled drop off? What will tomorrow look like at drop off time? GET OUT!!!
So, I finally made it to the car and began to cry myself. Hard. I cried for a long time too. It's soooo hard to leave your kids when they don't fully understand why there has to be a separation. She didn't really know anyone there....to her, I was dropping her off with total strangers. I felt horrible. Just horrible. I felt like I was being so cruel. A few comforting phone calls helped.
This is Mrs. Snyder, a long term sub. Mrs. Geyen recently had a baby and will not return to the classroom until November. This picture was about 20 seconds before the waterworks started.
Once I got home, I emailed the teacher. Here's my email,
Mrs. Snyder,
Please tell me that Ella recovered quicker than I did.
Thanks,
Jessica
At the bus stop it was hard to snap pictures, watch for traffic and hug the girls all at the same time. But Arthur managed to snap 2 photos.
She came off of the bus much happier than when I left her. She quickly shouted, "The bus is awesome!" I was so relieved! Answered prayers.
By the way, the teacher replied and said that she asked another little girl to be Ella's special friend. Apparently, Ella took a good 15 minutes to calm down and then was fine. Interestingly enough--her special friend began crying when she stopped. Funny.
Ella's favorite part: The high bumps on the bus!












3 comments:
Awwww. Seems it's frequently a bit more difficult on the youngest. Moms are a little different with the younger ones (more relaxed, etc) and there are different dynamics at work and the separation can be more difficult at times. You were always ready and anxious to go spend a week or 2 even with your grandparents or aunt (more independed). Sara, not so at that age. Thankfully all got better and the bus was awesome!!!
Oh, that would have torn me apart, too, and I'm not pregnant. Thanks for opening my eyes to what it might look like when Brin starts school!
By the way, was the Cheer Party fun?
That typo in my comment should read.. "independent".
Post a Comment