10.11.2008

Gymnastics


When we started, our classes met on Wednesdays. No one else signed up for that time slot so we had to pick another time slot on another day. Now we meet on Tuesdays. McKenna's teacher stayed the same. Ella's teacher, however, was different. She went from a college aged girl to a college graduated man! It was a bit strange for me, too. When he walked out to collect his students, she immediately yelled in disgust. (I don't mean whined and cried.) She balled. Everyone heard her. She said, "I don't want a boy teacher. Boys aren't good. I want only girl teachers." I felt bad for him. Surely, it isn't the first time he has encountered this though.
I made her go in. I told her that she would have fun and if she wanted gymnastics this was going to be how she got it. She cried a bit after I sent her in. The first thing they do is sit in a circle and stretch. She chose not to participate in any stretches. By the way, the stretches are fun songs and dances and the kids don't even realize they are stretching. Once they got started on the circuit and using the equipment she totally engaged herself and had a grand time. By the end she was giving teacher Ron hugs. He is actually very good with the kids. I was impressed.

Waiting for class to start


Ella had to pull little toys out of the bucket and set them on the balance beam without falling. She was successful!




Here, the goal was to pick up the stuffed animal with your feet and toss it in the bucket. All the while, holding your self up on the bars. Ella liked this.



McKenna is determined to conquer the hand stand.


Yeah, ok! I should look into getting her a leotard that covers all her under clothes!


She climbs this rope well. While on the rope, the kids are supposed to figure out how to swing themselves. While swinging they practice pike and straddle positions.




I am not happy about these photos....but it's worth posting so the girls can see it years from now. We have signed up for gymnastics (one year, 3 sessions) and they love it. One session was an early Christmas present. Most of the pictures are through a glass window. I really couldn't figure out the right setting. For more on the girls and their gymnastics, click here. I couldn't get many of McKenna. On this particular day the teacher had the kids doing drills on the trampoline and in the foam pit. There was just way to much movement for photos.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you certainly keep them busy (and they keep you busy).. well rounded individuals.

Anonymous said...

Fun! I didn't know they were doing gymnastics. That is too funny that Ella said "boys aren't good" and cried. Are you supposed to wear undies under a leotard?

Jessica said...

Yea, she probably doesn't need to wear undies with teh leotard. She chooses to wear them, regardless.

Anonymous said...

I, like Ella, would always wear undies under leotards - I wear em under jammies, why not leotards? They are my "security blanket" Security from what, I dunno!

So many fun activites & excursions ... gosh, I wish Jessica had been my mommy! __Nana Z