The girls had wanted a Bugville Butterfly House for some time. Finally, they got one this past Easter. So, when I though the weather was warm enough we sent away for our caterpillar larvae. Insect Lore received 2 checks from me and I received 2 jar that looked something like this:

After about 7-10 days the caterpillars formed a chrysalis. The chrysalides would randomly vibrate and swing around. This was a bit freaky. I read that they do that for protection. I had to transfer the lid of the jar to the inside of the butterfly house. This was stressful. I didn't want to touch them, break them, hurt them, smell them or really be near them.....but I had no choice. After a successful move, we waited. Here's a picture that I took by slipping the camera in the bottom of the butterfly house and taking a shot of the chrysalides hanging from the top.

In case you were wondering, chrysalides is the plural of chrysalis. I learned this by reading the "How to Care for Your New Caterpillar Larvae" pamphlet that came with the little wiggle worms. However, my spellcheck keeps wanting me to change it to "chrysalises." So, you be the judge. Which is correct?
So, after about another 7-10 days of looking at these 2 butterfly houses in my kitchen, we were ready to release the butterflies. From 10 caterpillars we got 10 chysalides and 9 butterflies. Pretty good, I think. These are Painted Lady butterflies.
McKenna enjoyed holding them very much!

2 comments:
Hey Mother Nature...did Ella want to hold any of them?
aww - reminds me of the time I brought home some sticks with cones on top for my mommy. The next day, we had praying mantis all over the house - and, back then in New Jersey - it was illegal to kill them. I fondly remember my mom, screaming & sweeping, screaming & sweeping all day long - haha.
Hugs - Nana Z.
Post a Comment