...sometimes tick me off!
McKenna: "Mom, is today a proper noun?"
Me: "Nope. Today, tomorrow, and yesterday are common nouns. We don't capitalize them (figuring that's really what she wanted to know). Friday is a proper noun because it's a specific day."
McKenna: "But, Mrs. Izzy capitalizes it. So, it IS a proper noun."
Mom: "When it is at the beginning of a sentence it should be capitalized. It isn't a proper noun, though."
McKenna: While shaking her head up and down she said very matter of fact, "Mrs. Izzy capitalizes it. It's a proper noun."
Me: "I'm a grown-up, so I know a thing or two about nouns. Today is a common noun. Not only am I a grown-up; I went to college, also. Today is a common noun. Not only did I go to college, I studied teaching the parts of speech. I have a REAL license from the state of Minnesota that says that I know how to teach kids the differences between common and proper nouns."
For those of you who may not know, I am a Language Arts teacher by profession.
McKenna: "Yeah, well, Mrs. Izzy is 35. I am capitalizing it in the middle of my sentence."
ADDED NOTE:
Since this conversation McKenna has had me second guessing myself on common and proper nouns! The stinker! I even had to call someone to confirm my position on the difference between common and proper nouns. Guess that says more about me than McKenna!
2 comments:
Ah, this she says today... what shall be in the later years? Will the teachers still be right?
I am so happy this happens to other people!
Post a Comment