6.03.2008

a round barn?

Arthur and I visited a bed and breakfast a few times. This visit was last fall. It's a higher priced place to visit, but well worth it! I thought I would share it with you.
We visited the Round Barn Farm Bed and Breakfast and Bread where old fashioned American and European ambiance meet in a 3-story bracketed country manor farm home, just outside Red Wing Minnesota.
The residence is a delight. Built on a design from 1861 by architect Samuel Sloan, the use of reclaimed timbers and country antique furnishings combine to deliver the atmosphere, comforts, and charms of days gone by.

This piece was made out of timbers/trees from the property.


The homeowner, taking us on a tour of the property, demonstrated how the cows were positioned for milking. You see, the round barn was at one time a dairy farm/barn.


If you are an early bird you get to make your own bread. The baker (homeowner) shares a story about the French bakers and the concept of the copyright law. It's quite funny.


My loaf of bread is copyrighted with a "K" for Kjelshus!


This is a gardening shed, not a lodging room!

We went hiking on the property! Beautiful!

3 comments:

Bren said...

My friend just stayed there last weekend. She said it was wonderful! Steve and I will have to check it out!

Anonymous said...

Looks very nice and serene.

Anonymous said...

It looks like such a nice place from the pictures...until the one of you taking bread out of the brick oven. At that point, it ramps up from "nice" to "totally awesome when-can-I-go!" How great to have a weekend away. One day we'll do that, too. At least, we keep saying we'll do that one day. Maybe we'll do it before we turn 70...

Deanna