11.27.2008

Ginger Bread Cookies

We made gingerbread cookies, from scratch, for the first time. I enjoy the flavor of ginger but realize that not everybody does. I searched the Internet for a recipe and there are many to choose from. I read reviews and tips and so forth and here's the recipe I decided to use:

INGREDIENTS
6 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup shortening, melted and cooled slightly
1 cup molasses
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
Sift together the flour, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon; set aside.


In a medium bowl, mix together the shortening, molasses, brown sugar, water, egg, and vanilla until smooth.

Gradually stir in the dry ingredients, until they are completely absorbed. Divide dough into 3 pieces, pat down to 1 1/2 inch thickness, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 inch apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.


Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. When the cookies are done, they will look dry, but still be soft to the touch. Remove from the baking sheet to cool on wire racks. When cool, the cookies can be frosted with the icing of your choice.


The dough was pretty easy to work with and the girls loved decorating them. They did not thoroughly enjoy eating them.





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I see an alien gingerbread man in there!

Bren said...

Did you like them? My kids want to make them this year and I want to use your recipe.

Anonymous said...

They look great! Not a big fan of the taste myself. The perfect Man ;-)

Jessica said...

Brenda, yes I like gingerbread cookies myself. You may want to consider cutting the recipe in half. It makes a lot. Finding the little candies was tougher than I thought. Try Sweet Celebrations by church.

Jessica said...

Brenda...one last thing. To cut one egg in half....beat the egg in a measuring cup, then discard half of it. That's what I did.

Anonymous said...

What a great activity to do with the girls. We've made cookies with William before but never gingerbread. They had gingerbread men at pre-school last week and read the story as well. When they went to get the cookies in the kitchen they had run off. They had to go all through the church to find them finally in the bible study room. A fun thing to do with the kids. I'd like to try and make a gingerbread house this year with the kids. But I don't know about the eating it though. Tom's sister makes one every year and his mom usually takes it home and eats it until May the next year. :)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! Good job, girls. Makes me sad to remember the grand gingerbread house I made one year - took me a month to create - put it in eaves and forgot to spray it - squirrels had a yummy lunch!!
__ Nana