3.29.2008

Lemon-Thyme Tea Bread

Okay, so it isn't my recipe. It's my friend Carey's recipe. Visit her blog if you want. Hers is "The Eigen Family" blog link from this blog. Anyhoo, this bread is uniquely grand. Try it!

Lemon-Thyme Tea Bread

3/4 cup milk
1 T minced fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 T lemon juice
1 T grated lemon peel

Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 T lemon juice

In a microwave-safe bowl, combine milk and thyme. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until bubbly; cover and let stand for 5 min. Cool to room temperature.

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with reserved milk mixture. Stir in lemon juice and lemon peel.

Pour into a greased 9x5x3 loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool for 10 min. before removing from pan to a wire rack.

In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over bread.
Yields 1 loaf.

2 comments:

Carey said...

I think you've made this bread more than I have now! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jessica - this sounds lovely - I've been trying more savory & sweet recipes lately. I saw one for a cake with jalepenos ... I passed on it tho ---Nana