3.21.2008

Next time, use a stud finder!

It was Thursday morning and I was having a mini play date with a newer friend. She'd never been to the house before. That means that I would need to get each room presentable.

First up, kitchen...dishes, more dishes, have kid friendly snack ready, sweep, sweep again. Done.
Next, TV room...fold throw blankets, arrange couch cushions, organize videos on shelf. Done

Family room and playroom..."Girls, pick up your toys." Vacuum. Done.

Now, upstairs....Ella's room...make bed. Done. (It wasn't too bad.)

McKenna's room...make bed(s). (The toys/books were already picked up.)

Here's where the story comes in:

McKenna has bunk beds. In order to "properly" make her bed it needs to be moved away from the wall. I have done this several times. I just pull it out about 3 inches and forward about 3 inches. It's just enough for me to slide my arm comfortably between and tuck in the sheets and straighten her comforter. For some reason the bed always slides out a bit more easily than it goes in. Hmm. Go figure! When I am done, I slide the bed against the wall, then proceeded to the foot of the bed. I need to push it up into the corner and all is done. I do this by anchoring myself. I lean my lower back (okay, my dupa)against the wall behind and use my leg strength to push the bed about 2-3 inches into its proper place. I have done this many, many times before.

This time I positioned my "lower back" as I always do. I put my right heel onto the middle of her foot board and..push. What happened next was not expected. There was a crackling and tearing sound and instead of the bed moving, the drywall behind me decided to cave in under the pressure. McKenna's cute pear green and pastel pink wall has a dent/whole the size of a basketball. Take a look for yourself.

When I called and explained to Arthur he said, "Next time, use a stud finder!"



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha.. just tell him, you did!. You just didn't find the stud.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Dunno if I'm compatible with this site - got bumped off 6 times already while here. Anyway, Happy post-Resurrection Day, Happy post-anniversary to you & Arthur (I'll be late for my own funeral). And a grand Natal blessing to Marlena & Dave (who doesn't love Dave?) Jessica - I suggest you have Arthur bite the bullet and put casters on the bunkbed ... was glad to see the wall broke, not your back! It looks like your girls do NOT plan on being firefighters when they grow up ... Einstein probably wouldn't have smiled either - haha. As for Ella's reaction to birthday attention, maybe she has a more "retiring" personality. Some might call it humility, others might say she is "above it all." I love your blog and so much appreciate you doing this ... gives all us Southern relatives a chance to keep up with our darlings. ok, lessee if I get posted on this thingy.

Anonymous said...

Your 'extremely lower back' like I'm in my 'extremely late 20's' (34).

Anonymous said...

haha thats halarious!