3.27.2008

Mini Political Advocates

The girls and I went to the Capitol bldg. in St. Paul to support ECFE. ECFE (Early Childhood and Family Education) is a state funded program providing communities with early education classes for children aged birth-5 years and their parents. I have been attending ECFE classes since McKenna was about 6 months old. For more info on ECFE click here.

The girls rode a school bus for the first time. They liked it. They especially liked wearing no seat belts and being free from car seats/booster seats. I did not like that!

First, we visited some politicians. Sen. Kathy Saltzman spoke with us. We thanked her for her support of ECFE and early education. We asked her to continue to support funding in spite of the recession our state is currently in.

We also spoke with State Rep. Marsh Swails; she represents our district. Similarly, we shared our appreciate for the program and asked that she continue to support funding for ECFE.
We presented each with flowers made out of construction paper. Yes, I am passionate about the program. I feel that it really provides parents an open and easily accessible door to being involved in their children's education. I could go on and on about the benefits of parents being involved in education. It makes for more a successful student and, in general, more successful life for that student.

We also meandered around the building, which is very beautiful! We posed with Minnesota's 37th governor, Arne Carlson.





Once we got home I called the editor of our local newspaper and emailed him lots of pictures! They are currently scheduled to be published in the April 9th publication under "Photo Forum."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun field trip for the girls! I hope to take Levi to an ECFE class next Fall. I wish I would have been more on top of things and got him into a class this winter. Oh, well. I love the pictures! I laughed when I saw the one of Ella holding "Soccer" and "Meatball" - they must be her best buddies! : )

Anonymous said...

I especially like the picture of the girls with the govenor! I can just hear you saying "Oh now girls stand right here and get the picture with the govenor!"
Lynda M

Anonymous said...

Very nice! The girls look like they're having a great time.
You make me feel sooooo lazy and disinterested in stuff!!!